Music's Like a Snuggie for Your Soul

MUSIC'S LIKE A SNUGGIE FOR YOUR SOUL

Thursday, November 3, 2022

The Catchening Upping

Goodness. You're unbelievable being here, not giving up on me and my musings. Holy cow. 

Life's been good for the most part.

About a week after I last checked in here, which was just after I lost my job at the community center, I ran into some local business owners who I'd worked for previously. They asked if I could use any work and I said as a matter of fact I could. I've been working on their farmstead as a farm hand/factotem ever since. 

They're a neat couple and have taken me in like family. Her father was head of NASA during the Apollo missions. (You could say her family came to the states from Germany on a paperclip after 1940 Armistice, if you know what i mean...) Her husband grew up in South Idaho on a dairy farm and straight out of college got a job working for the EPA and put at the head of the largest superfund site in the lower 48. Working for them reminds me of my ranch job on the river in a lot of ways. 


I dated a guy for a couple of years, an orchardist/pig farmer. It was mostly good. He was a great friend on a lot of fronts when it was nice to have a great friend. We were aligned philosophically on most things, just not big, big picture. (For the record, he dumped me, ultimately.) It took me a little by surprise, but I wasn't totally broken up over it. Ah well. 

And that's pretty much it! Farm hand most of the time and lately we've been sheep-shearing (me and my sister!). I'm fixin to make a whole post about my first run shearing on a crew, but generally i've been pretty bad about documenting the cool places and cute things we've encountered out de-fleecing. (It's a little nerve-wracking. Once we've established ourselves with our small flock customers, and as we get better, we'll be a little braver taking pictures and recording things, hopefully.)

I did get the VNS replaced. They swap out the whole generator, not just the battery. It seems a little different than the last one. I'm still not totally off the fence with this iteration, either, I'll admit, but it's probably a net positive, i'd guess. I aim to make a whole post about it someday. Maybe.

The last couple of months have been squirrely. Nothing totally spectacular, thankfully, save for one public display of affliction in front of the checkout counters at the local grocery store about a month ago. At this point part of me assumes the whole town has seen already, but it doesn't stop whatever shards of pride i have left from being mortified for a while after it happens somewhere busy.

Mostly i'm trying to not be a shite show between now and February. My sister and I have a spot on a shearing crew again. I'm trying not to be too excited. I love shearing so much. Don't think she wants to take me if I'm having seizures, though, so... Ah well.


Guess I need to take the dog out. We're back in the darkness these days, up here. 

Hope you're finding plenty of light to fill your heart wherever you are, dear reader.

4 comments:

  1. I was being totally honest when I said earlier that whenever your blog pops up on my sidebar of my old one, I get a thrill. You are NEVER forgotten, woman! This all sounds good -- it's great to get caught up. For what it's worth, my Sophie has seen some dramatic improvement using CBDv -- the isolate. Email me if you want to talk about anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am VERY happy to find new posts from you and for what it's worth "display of affliction" is an excellent phrase, very polite yet descriptive, brings to mind damsels in distress and smelling salts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Thanks! I've only seen video once that wasn't in a hospital bed. Despite my arm flying up, my head going back, and crying out, I imagine 'damsel' is about the furthest thing in everyone's mind. Maybe spontaneous exorcism is more like it. You're nice.

      Delete
  3. I'm the same as Elizabeth when I see your blog pop up on my feed. No. You are never forgotten. Ever.
    Can't say I'd imagine you sheep shearing but now I will. I know it's not an easy job at all.
    I am looking forward to more reports.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like flowers on the doorstep.